Red Tag: A red tag, , may be placed on a gas appliance by a licensed technician to indicate that it is no longer safe to operate and either needs to be repaired or replaced. (The gas can also be disconnected due to non payment, if so then you may expect a red tag,as the gas technician is obliged to do a complete inspection of the hvac units)

The defects which may lead to Red tag

  1. incomplete installations,
  2. not following tssa gas code or manufacturing recommendations
  3. missing installer tag
  4. gas leak, both carbon monoxide, or natural gas, which leads to immediate gas disconnection
  5. broken appliances, such as broken heat exchanger

There are two types of red tags
a. type A defect

in this case the unit is not safe to operate at all, which could be due to gas leak. The gas technician shuts the gas off, give a copy to the owner with a description of defects

and a copy sent to gas utility to inform of gas disconnection

b. Type B defect

this is not immediate hazard, and the technician does not turn off the gas, he/she provided the resident of the list of defect, and has 35 days to fix the defects

if the defects are not done withing the 35 days, the resident/owner can call the gas utility to extend the date, other wise the gas will be disconnecteusually are the defects such as

1.incomplete installations,

2.not following tssa gas code or manufacturing recommendations

  1. missing installer tag
  2. rusty gas pipes
  3. bonding (sometimes they call it ground wire) wire missing between water and gas line

please call HouseDepot to take care of the red, easily done

A red tag, indicating Type A, and Type B

for more information on red tag

Gas Leak and Carbon Monoxide Safety

(If you think you may have a gas leak, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately)

The first thing you need to do if you are nervous about a gas leak is leave your home and then call 911 right away. After emergency responders are coming your way, call your utility company. 

Once the emergency responders and utility company have confirmed there is no danger, call House Depot to arrange to fix the defects and have a peace of mind for all in your house. 

Poisonous gases, including natural gas and carbon monoxide, should be taken very seriously. Unlike natural gas, carbon monoxide won’t have a scent and can’t be easily detected. The EPA recommends a few steps to reduce exposure to carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Keep gas appliances safely adjusted.
  • Put in and take advantage of an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
  • Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
  • Have an expert inspect, clean and tune up your central heating systems (including furnaces, flues and chimneys) annually and repair any leaks promptly.
  • Install sufficient amount of gas and carbond monoxide detectors